Year 6 Transition
*Please Note - All the information is relevant and up to date. However, this will be subject to change in response to the COVID -19*
We are delighted that your child will be joining us at Kingswood Secondary Academy in September to start their exciting journey at secondary school. As a school, we care greatly about the welfare of all the youngsters in our community, and we are very much looking forward to meeting you and working with you over the next four years of your child’s education.
I know you must be extremely concerned about your child’s transition from Year 6 into 7 especially under the exceptional circumstances we find ourselves in! Transition in any year is daunting, however, this year more than ever, we need to get it right so our youngsters get the best start they possibly can and we will be really focusing on well-being and the mental health of our youngsters; this is our priority. Once we get them settled, their education will commence.
Indeed, you probably feel that they have not completed their education and therefore not really prepared enough for senior school. Please be reassured that we have all been working hard behind the scenes to get everything right for your child to join our wonderful family at Kingswood.
So what can you do in the meantime?
We are so excited in Kingswood when our youngsters come to join our Kingswood family and we want to know as much as we possibly can about you. So, I would love a letter, telling us everything about you, loves, dislikes, hobbies, books, sports, art, games, pets, EVERYTHING to help us get a clearer picture of you coming into our family.
I would also love a creative representation of you in any form- either as a drawing, collection of pictures, a model anything that embodies you. I would love to display your marvellous art in our reception area.
Furthermore, our school ethos is RISE, Respect, Independence Service and Empathy, qualities that we in Kingswood believe makes a person of the community. Therefore, we are asking all of our Year groups to take part in a RISE shield competition.
Unfortunately, the Information evening you we all to attend to meet staff and receive information about transition, was cancelled. Therefore, the link below will take you to our Induction Booklet where hopefully you will find all the answers to your questions.
We have made contact with all our feeder primary schools in Corby and we asked the teachers of Year 6 to complete an online form about the students who are transferring to Kingswood to provide as much information as possible; their learning, attendance, friendships etc. Again, this information to help our students make the best start in school in these challenging times this information is paramount. We need to ensure all the support is there before we start.
We have also asked primary schools to identify any student who has an identified learning need and our DSP unit will be working to contact the SENCOs and parents to gain the detailed information about those students.
If your child currently receives free school meals, Mrs Kath Ford will contact with your child when they start as she coordinates extra support for families and students.
Finally, we are extremely proud of our school, students and staff and we all work together as an academy, but also as a beacon within our wider community. WE all need to commit to working together, to ensure that our students are the respected independent generation, who will serve themselves and our Corby community, showing empathy, humility and ultimately kindness to their fellow human beings.
Our Mission statement:
- At Kingswood we RISE to the top together through showing each other Respect, being Independent and displaying a sense of Service to the Community and Empathy at all times.
- We are inspired to achieve through excellent learning opportunities where Questioning, Engagement and Challenge enable all to thrive and RISE!
- We act with integrity, doing the right thing even when nobody is looking as we build the community we wish to live in and treat each other with the Respect we would hope to receive regardless of gender, sexuality, disability or race.
- We are independent learners because we always come to school on time, in the correct uniform and with the right equipment. We display excellent attitudes towards our learning. We understand it is our responsibility to do so and in so doing, we prepare ourselves for our futures.
- We live enriching lives beyond the classroom which includes participation in clubs, leadership and charitable activities enabling us to become Empathetic citizens with a sense of service to our community.
- We are proud to contribute to our school and town community, proud to be Corby, proud to be Kingswoodians - so now let’s RISE together!